Restrictions on wine export from South Africa are expected to resume tomorrow and bookings are planned for May. We’ll continue to update if there are any changes and we encourage to follow country updates on international operations (port operations, equipment availability and sailing schedules/capacity) updates on Hillebrand.com.
Duties, Taxes & Tariffs
- You can view US Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) CSMS messages and eligibility regarding the COVID-19 related postponement of duties here CSMS 4243171 and CSMS 4241561. Note that products subject to section 301 tariffs are not eligible.
- CBP encourages all importers and filers to use Automated Clearinghouse (ACH) “to the greatest extent possible”. Importers using Hillebrand for customs brokerage services can complete the form via Docusign here.
- CBMA Tax Savings for 2020 – Importers can take advantage of tax savings on eligible shipments of wine, spirits and beer, if you are unfamiliar with the program read more here.
- Section 301 Tariffs – there has been no official update from the USTR Office since mid-February on the airbus subsidy tariffs which for imported alcoholic beverages only extended rates on existing products. Unless an agreement is reached between the US and Europe, the next carousel review date within 180 days would mean an update would be expected by August 12, 2020.
Logistics strategies for re-opening and recovery efforts
While some states are easing restrictions in May or partially re-opening (mostly in the South and Midwest), states in the Northeast and West Coast continue to have COVID-19 stay at home mandates in place. Non-essential businesses are still limited with bars and restaurants restricted to take-out or open but at reduced capacity. We understand selling to different channels can require alternative transport solutions. Please reach out to your Hillebrand contacts on your business needs or consider a few options below:
- Ship smaller order quantities through import/export consolidation “groupage” services.
- Opt for VinLiner insulation and temperature/humidity recording devices In areas where reefer capacity is limited and to protect cargo during the warming months if shipped in dry containers. Available in container and pallet size formats.
- Cross-dock pallets directly to retail fulfillment centers through Hillebrand’s domestic program.
- California last mile services have expanded to cover direct to consumer deliveries
- Clear out expired stock through EcoBev product disposal program
- Store excess inventory throughout Hillebrand’s expanded network.
California Business Development Director
Hillebrand is pleased to introduce Marliese Martin as California Business Development Director, based out of Northern California. Marliese has over 20 years of experience in transportation logistics with Hillebrand South Africa where she served most recently as Area Director. View more in her LinkedIn bio or send her a message directly here.
Moving Forward by Giving Back
Community matters more than ever and we have been heartened by the positive attitude and generosity of the Hillebrand network around the world.
- Hillebrand USA employees have made contributions this month to Feeding America and Northern/Central New Jersey Firefighters/EMT. Newark’s University Hospital is allocating these donations toward staff meals for EMT and other health care workers.
- In California our warehouse team received handmade wine-themed face masks made by the Transportation Manager Charisse Tolano’s supermom Sharon. The team also received hand sanitizer supplied by Sutherland Distillery in Livermore.
Read more about these stories and more relief efforts on here